Friday, January 21, 2011

Lesson 4: “Prepare Ye the Way of the Lord"

Purpose:

To inspire class members to draw near to the Savior by repenting of their sins, keeping their baptismal covenants, and withstanding temptation.

It is no secret that most of the material I use for the blog comes directly from the student manual. I do this for a couple of reasons. Most importantly because it isn't my class, nor my message. I know that by following the manual, which has been approved by the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve, that I am standing on solid ground and that I can leave the heavy lifting to the spirit. This understanding has helped me to be able to "teach" a group of people that are surely more knowledgeable and fluent in the scriptures than am I.

Each week I begin my preparation by writing the PURPOSE of the lesson on a sticky note. I put it where I can see it and I think about it all week. Surely there is a reason it is listed at the beginning of each lesson. I have followed that pattern and have stated the purpose of each lesson at the beginning of each blog post. The PURPOSE of the lesson this week is to INSPIRE class members to draw near to the Savior...That is a pretty hefty responsibility. Sheesh, how does one go about inspiring people? If I am honestly with you, I am not sure that I am in a position to inspire you, but I am confident that I know the source of all inspiration and am relieved to know that by referring you to our Father in Heaven and enlisting the spirit that is no longer a burden I have to carry.

I came across something Elder D. Todd Christofferson said a couple of days ago and have been thinking about it each day since. He taught, "True success in this life comes in consecrating our lives--that is, our time and choices--to God's purposes. In so doing, we permit Him to raise us to our highest destiny."

I am including this little video clip because it inspires me to draw near unto the Savior. I really want to live my life in a meaningful way and I know that the only way I can really succeed in this pursuit is to draw near unto the Savior. I realize that many of you have seen this clip before and are familiar with Stephanie Nelson's story, but it is worth revisiting.
    Questions to consider:

Suggestion for Family Discussion

Prepare a lesson to help family members who are preparing for baptism or to discuss ways to help converts who will soon be baptized. Discuss why Jesus needed baptism (Matthew 3:13–15; 2 Nephi 31:6–9) and why we need baptism (2 Nephi 31:5, 10–12; D&C 20:71–73; 49:13–14). Invite family members who have been baptized to tell about when they were baptized and express their feelings about the blessings they have received because they were baptized.

Scripture Chain: Repentance

D&C 58:42–43

Conclusion

The invitation to “come and see” the Savior is extended to each of us. We can accept that invitation by repenting, being baptized, keeping our baptismal covenants, and withstanding temptation.

4 comments:

Denise said...

Hi Abbie,

My mother (Helen Knowles) sent this link for me to check out. I was so impressed when I attended one of your Sunday School classes over the holidays. I love this idea of a blog because I am much better at sitting at my computer than breaking out my Sunday School pamphlet!

I think I will check back with you (even though I'm not in your ward) as I don't get to go to Sunday School most Sundays. I will definitely use the idea at the end of the lesson for our FHE on Monday as we are preparing our oldest child for baptism in Feb.

It's too bad that I don't live in the ward anymore, I think I would really enjoy getting to know you.

The Platt's said...

Denise: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I appreciate hearing from you! I often wonder if the blog is helpful or if it is being utilized...there is plenty to do without adding extra, but I hope that it proves to be of value. The lesson next week is about baptism so be sure to check back. I hope to have something posted tomorrow.

I wish you still lived in the ward, as I am sure that I would enjoy getting to know you! Your mom is fantastic.

Best, abbie

Susan said...

Hey Abbie,
I just decided to actually come to the blog for the first time in a loooong time. I usually just read your posts on my Google Reader. But I thought I'd get on and check out the comments, and seeing this and what you wrote I just want to add that I am so glad you still do this. I am in the Primary, so I would really have no idea what's going on in Sunday School if it weren't for this! Thanks for keeping it going!

The Platt's said...

Hello, Susan!!! How are you guys! It's been too long! Thanks for the nice comment. I appreciate it! I really love teaching...it has always blessed me more than I deserve. I also appreciate knowing that the blog is getting utilized. What a treat to hear from you. Be well! Thanks again!