Saturday, April 16, 2011

Lesson 14: “Who Is My Neighbour?

Purpose: To help class members humble themselves, forgive others, and show charity for one another.

Matthew 18; Luke 10

• What is Jesus’ counsel to those who desire to achieve true greatness in his kingdom? (See Matthew 18:2–4; Mark 9:35.) How can we become more childlike and more submissive to the will of our Father in Heaven?


• In teaching the parable of the unmerciful servant, Jesus emphasized the importance of forgiving others (Matthew 18:23–35) . How are we like the king’s servant in our debt to the Lord? What can you learn from the king’s example in forgiving others? What are some of the dangers of not forgiving others? (See Matthew 18:34–35.)


• What can you learn from the parable of the good Samaritan? (See Luke 10:25–37.) How have you been blessed by “good Samaritans”? How can you be a “good Samaritan”? (See Mosiah 4:26.)


**There is a remarkable article that provides incredible insight that I would highly recommend reviewing! Here is the link: http://lds.org/liahona/2007/02/the-good-samaritan-forgotten-symbols?lang=eng&query=parable+unmerciful+servant . The title is: The Good Samaritan: Forgotten Symbols By John W. Welch; Brigham Young University professor, J. Reuben Clark Law School, and editor in chief, BYU Studies

Suggestion for Family Discussion
Read the parable of the good Samaritan (Luke 10:25–37). Give particular attention to the Savior’s invitation to “go, and do thou likewise” (Luke 10:37). Then make a list of your friends, relatives, and other acquaintances, asking each family member to contribute at least one name to the list. Make plans to serve one or two of the people on the list in the coming week.

As part of this family discussion, you may want to sing together “Have I Done Any Good?” (Hymns, no. 223).

Scripture Chain: “Love Thy Neighbour”
Luke 10:25–37
Leviticus 19:18
Matthew 22:35–40
John 13:34–35
Mosiah 2:17
D&C 38:24–25

Conclusion:
We can follow the Savior’s example by humbling ourselves, forgiving others, and showing charity for one another. May each of us live these teachings.

3 comments:

hdknowles said...

Are you teaching again? How fun if the answer is yes. I'll be on the lookout for this - you do such an amazing job.

The Platt's said...

I sure wish that I was teaching, but no. I still don't have a calling. The break is nice, but I miss teaching so much. I decided that I would do my best to keep up with the blog b/c it helps me to prepare and to keep spiritually in tune. What lesson are you guys on? Hopefully my ward is either ahead or on the same track so that the updates are useful.

How have you been? We sure miss seeing everybody!

hdknowles said...

I think we are one lesson ahead of you. But I love your insights. Brother Munyan taught last week - I'm so used to you or Melissa that it was a little strange to have a male teacher! Are you a stay-at-home mom yet? My email address is hdknowles@netscape.net. I'll try not to make personal comments on the Sunday School blog. Send me your email. We are all doing well - but miss you and your family.