Friday, May 11, 2012

Chapter 8: Temple Blessings for Ourselves and Our Ancestors

The purpose of temples is to provide a place where holy
ordinance are performed for the living and for the dead.

 Teachings of George Albert Smith
1. In the temple we receive sacred ordinances, including ordinances that bind families for eternity.

**Ponder the feelings you have when you attend the temple, and think about the experiences that have strengthened your testimony that the temple is the house of the Lord.

2. Through temple work we make eternal blessings available to our deceased ancestors.
Each [temple] has been built to one great eternal purpose: to serve as a House of the Lord, to provide a place sacred and suitable for the performing of holy ordinances that bind on earth as in heaven—ordinances for the dead and for the living that assure those who receive them and who are faithful to their covenants, the possession and association of their families, worlds without end, and exaltation with them in the celestial kingdom of our Father.5
Grateful should we be for a knowledge of the eternity of the marriage covenant. If in this life only had we hope, we would indeed be of all men most miserable [see 1 Corinthians 15:19]. The assurance that our relationship here as parents and children, as husbands and wives will continue in heaven, and that this is but the beginning of a great and glorious kingdom that our Father has destined we shall inherit on the other side, fills us with hope and joy.6
If I were to think, as so many think, that now that my beloved wife and my beloved parents are gone, that they have passed out of my life forever and that I shall never see them again, it would deprive me of one of the greatest joys that I have in life: the contemplation of meeting them again, and receiving their welcome and their affection, and of thanking them from the depths of a grateful heart for all they have done for me.
**What can we do to encourage young people to prepare to be married in the temple?
**What are some simple ways for someone with many other responsibilities to participate in family history work? What can priesthood quorums and Relief Societies do to participate?

3. The Lord will assist us in searching for our kindred dead.
**How has the Lord helped you as you’ve tried to find information about your ancestors? What other blessings have you received as you have participated in family history work?

This is another "sweet treat Sunday". Read the lesson and leave a comment in the blog, or simply email me abbiefroerer@hotmail.com, and I will have a little something for you in class.

5 comments:

Karen said...

As I read this lesson last night, I thought back to the experiences I've had participating in family history
work. I've received so many blessings and tender mercies. Truly the veil is very thin, and their is heavenly help!

dana said...

some "friends" of mine decided that it was in their best interest, as well as MY best interest to have a sit down with me regarding my beliefs and membership in The Church. they had a booklet published by Rose Publishing about Mormonism. one of the questions is "why do Mormons build temples?" they were quick to tell me why I was wrong in going or believing in temples. but, i highly doubt they'd be quick to be willing to watch either of those videos. :-(

one of my fave statements on the back of this booklet is, " Don't dwell on topics that are especially sensitive to Mormons and should only be addressed after they feel more comfortable discussing religious issues with you. Talking about the temple ceremony, the sacred garments, polygamy, or racism will almost certainly bring the discussion to a close. Use your time wisely."

i love that, in a million years, i would NEVER EVER imagine walking up to them and telling them that they are wrong in their beliefs. but, they have NO problem telling me that THEY are Christians and *I* am NOT. sigh........

thank you for sharing those youtube videos. i will be sure to watch and share them with others!!!

hdknowles said...

Oh how I've missed your thoughts in this format Abbie. Glad you have the opportunity to share your insights with us again (even though from afar).

And I've had the same experience as your friend Dana has had - but my "Savior" was my own sister. Needless to say, we both have our own beliefs and I would never tell her she is wrong about her beliefs.

Looking forward, once again, to reading your words of wisdom Abbie.

Anonymous said...

I love how all aspects of my life are affected by going to the temple frequently. It is a real “power-house”. When I am going to the temple often, personal inspiration/revelation increases. My understanding of gospel principles is clarified. There is strength and power that comes from going to the temple that cannot be had any other way. I need to go more often not only for my own benefit but for the benefit of my family.

molly kay said...

As you and I have talked about it- we are both in phases of our lives where it is difficult if not down right impossible to make it to the Temple! I miss it so much and the power and peace contained there. Can't wait to hear your lesson!