Saturday, February 6, 2010

Snowmageddon 2010

For the last couple of days, the media has been warning that the DC metropolitan area was going to be hit by a major snow storm. The prediction was between 20 and 30 inches. In an already crowded city, that is a lot of snow. Additionally, because the area does not normally get this much snow, the city does not have the resources necessary to respond quickly.

Gratefully businesses and offices alike, shut down early Friday afternoon when the snow started falling. The weather man's prediction was accurate. We have at least 25 inches. Trees and power lines are buckling under the weight of the snow. Many cars that dared to attempt getting out, found themselves off the roads.

As you can imagine, I have thought about Noah and his Ark all week. The parallel between Noah's Ark and this storm are apparent. Local newscasters reporting from grocery stores showed pictures of empty shelves and frantic shoppers. Milk, bread, and "the basics" were hard to come by. I appreciate the timing of this storm because it has provided an opportunity for me to evaluate whether we have sufficient supplies in our home. Am I building an Ark? Am I prepared for what may come; both temporally and spiritually?

While we have enough fresh produce and other food to easily get us through the weekend and next week, I am not certain how long we could live off the little "food storage" we have in the house. I have thought at length, about the general "storms" of life that we must regularly endure. These storms come in all different forms; personal trials, financial difficulty, physical ailments, and even professional challenges. While the Lord promised that He would never flood the earth again, storms will come from time to time. Are we (am I) prepared?

This is a great time for us to think about the whether our Ark is sufficient! I'll look forward to our discussion in two weeks (after Stake Conference).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've had the same thoughts! This storm was so timely with the lesson. Food storage is hard in a tiny apartment, but Harley and I have discussed what we can do to improve.

Hope everyone is warm and safe.

Wendy K.

KathyM said...

Hey how do you do that cute little flashing gadget in the corner??? I need one of those!